Toad poisoning in dogs occurs when they come into contact with certain toxic toads.
Watch out for common symptoms such as drooling, pawing at the mouth, vomiting, diarrhea, disorientation, and seizures.
The most common toxic toad species in the US are the Colorado River Toad, Marine Toad, and Cane Toad.
Toad encounters are more likely in warm and humid regions. Be cautious during evening walks or outdoor activities, especially after rain.
If you suspect toad poisoning, rinse your dog's mouth with water for 10-15 minutes, ensuring they don't swallow the water.
Even if your dog seems better after first aid, take them to a veterinarian immediately. Toad poisoning can be fatal, and professional care is crucial.
At the vet's, your dog may receive IV fluids, medications to control symptoms, and supportive care.
Prevent toad poisoning by keeping your dog on a leash during walks, inspecting the yard for toads, and removing any potential hazards.
Train your dog to avoid touching or licking unknown creatures. The "Leave it" command can be helpful in such situations.